New to Minnesota FAQ
New To Minnesota?

Welcome! As a new resident, you will need to obtain a Minnesota driver's license and get Minnesota registration for your vehicle.

Minnesota Driver's License
With the exception of commercial drivers, you have 60 days after becoming a Minnesota resident in which to obtain your Minnesota driver's license. Commercial drivers have 30 days. If you are not a resident of Minnesota, here temporarily, and have a valid driver's license from your home state or country in your possession, you are not required to obtain a Minnesota driver's license.


  • If you have a valid driver's license from another U.S. state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Virgin Islands, Guam, or Canada you must pass a knowledge (written) test about Minnesota driving laws and regulations.
  • If your license has been expired for more than one year, you must also pass a skill (road) test.
  • If you have moved from a country other than the ones listed above, you must pass both the knowledge and skill tests.

You will need to:

  • Present one primary and one secondary form of identification. For identification requirements - click here.
  • Present white and yellow copy of your successful test results
  • Present all other drivers' licenses. Your license from your previous state of residence will be invalidated and returned to you.
  • Pass a vision screening.
  • Have a photo taken.
  • Pay appropriate fees.

The typical fee for a Class D driver's license is $23.25

Need More Information?

Vehicle Title and Registration
New residents have 60 days after becoming a resident in which to register their passenger vehicle (includes passenger vans and three-quarter ton pickups), motorcycle, utility trailer or house trailer, provided the registration displayed on the vehicle is current.
If the registration is expired or if the vehicle is a commercial trailer or truck, you must obtain registration immediately.

You will need to visit one of the more than 170 deputy registrar offices located throughout the state. For office locations - click here. The deputy registrar will issue you license plates and registration stickers (tabs) at the time of application. One of the owners listed on the vehicle title or registration card must sign the Minnesota application for title/registration.

You will need:

  • Current vehicle title, or if the title is not available the current registration card
  • Odometer reading on your vehicle
  • Driver's license or acceptable form of identification
  • If you are leasing the vehicle, a copy of the lease agreement or a Power of Attorney from the leasing company and the company's Minnesota Tax ID number.

Insurance Requirements
When you register a vehicle in Minnesota you are attesting that the vehicle is properly insured. The Minnesota No-Fault Act requires owners of registered motor vehicles to maintain no-fault insurance. Drivers are also required to carry proof of insurance in the vehicle at all times and to provide it to peace officers upon demand. (Reference: Minnesota Statutes, section 65B.48 and 169.791.)

It typically costs around $23 in addition to registration tax to apply for a Minnesota title for a vehicle already titled in your name in another state. Registration tax depends on the type and age of the vehicle.

Need More Information?

Watercraft and Off-road Vehicles
Please contact the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources for information related to the ownership and operation of watercraft, snowmobile, all terrain, and off-road vehicles.